 Off-Topic / Geek / 3027
Re: LEGO Inspired Fonts For Macintosh And Windows
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Fri, 18 May 2001 17:28:54 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Matthew Gerber writes:

Larry, you are truly the master of attributing your words and ideas to the
wants/needs/desires/thoughts/etc. of others.

Not sure what you mean by that and not going to dig into it but it doesn't
sound right to me.

If you have taken anything I
have written here personally, I apologize.

I'm not taking anything personally, and I hope you aren't either. So I'm not
insulted. What I am, however, is *confused* about where you are going with this.

However, if you will recall where
this started, I VERY SPECIFICALLY STATED MULTIPLE TIMES that this was meant
as a general discussion, no specifics involved.

And I answered generically... to wit, fixed size is wrong in principle as it
denies control of the experience to the user.

Kevin said it well, there has been a lot of perversion of the original
intent of HTML, which was to be a markup language that browsers (and users,
by controlling browser behaviour) used as a guide to how to render
information. Some of that perversion users live with. Some is too egregious
and users complain about.

I guess I am not sure what it *is* you wanted. You asked what users thought.
I'm telling you what this user (and by extension, many other users as well,
since I know what other users want too, it's my job to know that) thinks.

Take it or leave it. There ARE other opinions out there. (haven't yet heard
anyone say they like resizing but that doesn't mean that they aren't out
there) But don't complain about getting input after you ask for it.

Further, don't say you want to speak generically and then say "well it's my
site so I can do things the way I want and people should appreciate that,
especially since I am giving them something they want for free."

That is an extremely *valid* viewpoint to take and you are *totally
justified* in taking it, as I have always said, but you are NOT speaking
generically when you make that statement. That's not a fair tactic if you
want to stay generic.

So maybe if you clarified what you really wanted out of this thread, you
might get it... it seems like right now, it's not giving you what you
wanted. Sorry about that. Seems to happen a lot though. I've a thread right
now elsewhere that isn't going where I thought it would.

I'll repeat, generically, anything that takes control away from the user
over the user web experience is bad, in principle. Some things are worse
than others. Some things we put up with because the benefits outweigh the
cost of breaking the principle.

I'm not convinced that fixed size is one of those (benefits>cost),
especially if it impacts me after I LEAVE the site that did it. That's a
general statement.

From the general to the specific: Maybe you should have an entrance point
that doesn't do the fixed size thing and launch a new browser window so you
preserve the user's old size setting in their original window.... that might
give the best of both worlds. I don't lose my settings and you don't have to
handle creating the main part of the site so that it displays well under
multiple sizes. I can close the fixed size window after I am done viewing
your site. You could even tell the system to launch a non resizable window
if you wanted to!

Of course the downside of that is that you are making the decision to launch
another browser window instead of the user making it. Maybe my system can't
handle that additional window due to resource constraints. Is that worse or
better than resizing the original window? Dunno.

Everything is a series of tradeoffs, of course. I think there is merit in
this discussion, tradeoffs fascinate me, UI issues fascinate me, group
dynamics fascinate me as well. So I hope you do choose to continue.

++Lar