 Off-Topic / Geek / 3036
Re: LEGO Inspired Fonts For Macintosh And Windows
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Fri, 18 May 2001 23:18:22 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Matthew Gerber writes:

Ah, but no one is forcing you to view the material! You make a concious
decision to partake of what is offered.

Yes, which is why it's so easy for me to leave and not come back once
I realize a site is monkeying with my browser settings.

I went and looked at your site.  Wonderful fonts!  Those are just
toooo coool.  I think they'd be great to make graphics for a web
page.  (Hopefully anybody who uses your fonts will link to your page
and give you credit.)

But I did notice the page-resizing, and was annoyed by it.

For one thing, the first thing that happened when I visited is that
it resized itself right off the edge of my screen.  My browser
is configured so that when I open a new window, it opens 'minimized.'
That way I can keep using the current browser window until I'm ready
to go look at the new window.  But your javascript or whatever then
resized that minimized window until most of it was off the screen.
Uck!

Anyway, after looking at your page, I don't see data on your pages that
would justify setting a browser width.  It all looks like pretty plain-jane
html.  I don't know how the margins have been set (I didn't view the source)
but I doubt it would take you much time to "un-fix" the margins and remove
the window-sizing code.  Then you would have a site that was much more
pleasurable for visitors to visit, and one that wouldn't discourage repeat
visits.  Trust me - a lot of people immediately steer clear of sites that
change browser sizes, hide the browser menu / run in 'full screen' mode,
etc.  It's just bad html etiquette.  There's a reason most sites don't do it
- because it inspires a lot of bad feelings in people.  There's no reason to
do that, and you risk alienating right off the bat just the kind of
technical person who would be interested in trying to use your fonts in the
first place.

Here again though, I have chosen to participate, and should live with what
is offered-their vision of what their site should be!  I don't complain when
IT IS NOT MY PLACE TO DO SO.

Complaining about the look of your fonts wouldn't be my place.  Complaining
that your site chooses to hijaak my browser and make it play tricks - that
IS my place.  Anyway, it's not a complaint - it's intended as constructive
criticism.

Like you said, I make a conscious decision to partake of your site.  But
you've made a conscious decision not to respect my preferences with regards
to how I want to size my browser window.  When a site plays tricks on my
browser, I then make a conscious decision to beat-feet it out of there, and
I am not alone in this opinion.  Trust the other people who are saying the
same thing, ok?

--

Jeff <jthompson@esker.com>   "Float on a river, forever and ever, Emily"