 Off-Topic / Geek / 3026
Re: LEGO Inspired Fonts For Macintosh And Windows
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Fri, 18 May 2001 17:03:45 GMT

In lugnet.general, Matthew Gerber writes:
Now that's an interesting point. Do you often complain to book, magazine or
newspaper publishers about the physical size of their offerings? Would you
turn down a brochure about something you find really interesting because it
was printed on legal rather than letter size paper?

The whole point of HTML is that it is not a static book or magazine, but a
dynamic representation that is interpreted by the local style and preferences
of the user.  Much kludging has been done since the original DTD to try
to allow marketing folks the ability to lay out each pixel of the end users
display.  If that is the actual intent, then we should use different technology
than HTML, which is based on SGML.

However, in reality, almost all websites use HTMl inappropriately to force some
display parameters or another.  End users accept and even expect that.  There
are still some abuses they do not accept, such as browser resizing, pop-up
windows and even frames for the most part.

KL