 Off-Topic / Geek / 3029
RE: LEGO Inspired Fonts For Macintosh And Windows
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.publish.html
Date:
Fri, 18 May 2001 17:33:15 GMT

Matthew Gerber writes:
Now that's an interesting point. Do you often complain to book,
magazine or newspaper publishers about the physical size of their
offerings? Would you turn down a brochure about something you find
really interesting because it was printed on legal rather than
letter size paper?

I *do* find it annoying when one tries to fit a legal size sheet of paper in
a letter size folder, but that's beside the point.

In my mind, it all comes down to the designer's eye, what the
creator wants to get across visually. I personally HATE either
all of the extra space left on the right side of my screen when
I go to a site that is designed smaller than the last one I was
at, and HATE EVEN MORE having to constantly click the expand box
to get the full scope of a site that is bigger than the last one
I was at. I'm constantly resizing the darn window, ya' know?

I like to browse with the window maximized (at 1152x864 res) because it
blocks out whatever other noise lurks behind my browser.  I find it very
distracting to read text or look at pictures when there is other stuff going
on.  The only time I ever reduce the size of my browser window is when some
bad designer made the text go all the way across the screen in long, hard to
read lines.
  If you want to define a definite edge to your page, I suggest you do it
with a graphic or change in color, like I did here:
http://www.chuh.org/Students/Bram-Lambrecht/resume.html
(which needs to be updated/redesigned when I get some time/motivation)
IMO, designing for the web is different that designing for paper.  And I
would find it incredibly annoying if the pages in a magazine were all
different sizes...
--Bram

Bram Lambrecht
bram@cwru.edu