 General / 30350
Re: LEGO Inspired Fonts For Macintosh And Windows
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 18 May 2001 12:10:57 GMT

In lugnet.general, Johannes Keukelaar writes:

Nice fonts. Just a suggestion: Would it be possible to create a
brick-n-brack-like font from a more system-y viewpoint, i.e. the studs
not right behind eachother, so it gets a more 3-d feeling?

Just as soon as someone comes up with a way to type at a diagonal to a
receeding horizon point. The physics just won't work in 2D space.

<pet-peeve>
Please leave the size of my browser window alone! I'll determine how
large I want the window to be. That is a very _rude_ bit of
javascript.
</pet-peeve>

[What follows is not directed at anyone in particular, especially Johannes.
My brother and I were arguing just this point the last few days, and I think
it may make good discussion fodder. No flame intended.]

Now that's an interesting point. Do you often complain to book, magazine or
newspaper publishers about the physical size of their offerings? Would you
turn down a brochure about something you find really interesting because it
was printed on legal rather than letter size paper?

I created my site the way I wanted it to be. I determined that I would like
to make the size of my pages a certain width and height to be most readable
and pleasing to my, and hopefully others, eyes. I've done this with other
sites, and will do it again.

In my mind, it all comes down to the designer's eye, what the creator wants
to get across visually. I personally HATE either all of the extra space left
on the right side of my screen when I go to a site that is designed smaller
than the last one I was at, and HATE EVEN MORE having to constantly click
the expand box to get the full scope of a site that is bigger than the last
one I was at. I'm constantly resizing the darn window, ya' know?

When I ran across this JavaScript, I thought "Hey! Now THAT'S useful!". So I
used it. And so far, I'm happy with the results *as a designer*. Now, as
users, what do others think? Well, that's why I wrote this little rant. What
do YOU think?

Matt