 Off-Topic / Debate / 9570
Re: Music while building
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 23 Mar 2001 16:03:43 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jennifer Clark writes:

There
is some good contemporary folk/alternative Christian music out there, but it
takes some persistence to find.

Indeed - for many modern genres, it would indeed appear that the devil has the best tunes. I have no idea why this should
be - perhaps it comes from a degree of contrivance, i.e. bands that try to *be* something tend not to come across as well
as bands that just *are*. I also find that music with an overt message can sometimes leave a bitter aftertaste as well, be
it political, religious or what have you.

Jennifer Clark

I think your above point pretty much nails it: bands that consciously try to
imitate the sound/success of others usually are 1) not very good, and 2) always
lagging behind the market. As you said, bands that are just themselves
regardless of who anyone else is are those bands that really make an indelible
mark.

Sidenote: A while back I worked in a Christian bookstore, and I gradually took
over the responsibility as the "music guy" - creating attractive displays,
stocking as I saw appropriate, and recommending music to people - which was
ironic, because though I am a Christian, I don't care for Christian pop, and I
had no idea what most of the music really sounded like.  However, I soon
realized that I didn't have to know what the music sounded like in order to make
a pretty good guess as to the types of bands/artists that people would like.  I
might have been completely wrong all of the time, but I seemed to be pretty good
at it.  That experience always intrigued me because its true that people often
do reveal a lot about their personalities and tastes merely by their
appearances.

james