 General / 28936
Re: Music while building
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 20 Mar 2001 23:26:11 GMT

Michael, you are fortunate to live within sight of one of the most glorious
sights in all of Europe... Lincoln Cathedral.  Did you know that up until the
16th century the central spire of Lincoln Cathedral was the tallest manmade
structure in the world.  I believe it fell in a storm in the 1580's.  It was
reputedly 550ft tall.  I have not been to Lincoln, (but I would like to one day
visit it), but my own Lego Cathedral has that same tower threesome (crossing
tower and twin western towers) without spires that can also be found at
Canterbury and York (both of which I have visited, along with Winchester, Oxford
and Westminster).

On another musical/cathedral note, Pink Floyd's DIVISION BELLS CD has Ely
Cathedral in the distant background (you can see the Ely Octogon- one of the
glories of English Carpentry in the distance).  Ely Cathedral also shows up in
that albums' song video "High Hopes".

As much as I love the glories of French Cathedrals (the glories of the glass and
chevet), and the towering beauties of German Cathedrals (nothing prepares you
for the vastness of Cologne Cathedral), it is the British Cathedrals that have
inspired me to model my LEGO Cathedral against.

Gary Istok

Michael Edwards wrote:

Hi Gray

Michael, I am guilty as charged.  I like Enigma for building historic
structures.  I too am waiting for E5.  When my cathedral is complete, I am
planning to convert it into a monastery (calling it "Eastmister Abbey"), • so
that building the cloisters, refrectory, almondry, Abbots Palace, chapels • and
dormatory will make listening to the Enigma "Gregorian Chants" seem quite
appropriate.

Gary Istok

Not Lego releated, but Enigma has made me look at the wonderful Cathedral at
the top of the hill in Lincoln UK, a nice 800 year old place of worship.. -
i know Reinhard Beneke aka Ben from Germany has seen it. I will try to make
a recreation of it in Lego, but that won't be a while....

A clip from E3 -

THINGS are changing
But nothing changes
And still there are chances - (Just Like Lego - my 2 cents)
Le roi est mori, vive le roli!
All our life we'll wait for THE answer
And the question is: WHY?
EVERYTHING is possible
Beyond the invisible
LOVE is a crazy game
It is real and pure
T.N.T for the brain
MOST of the ENERGY we spend
Is like a footprint on moving sands
TRY to live your lost illusions
They are the spice of life
THERE'S no teacher
Who can teach anything new
He can just help us to remember
The things we always knew

***

Le- roi est mort, vive le roi! - ( Translation - The King is dead, long live
the king - i believe)

There is another 5 more albums in the works from Enigma :-) E5 is due out
this year, there is a DVD coming out in the UK in the next few weeks, i
can't WAIT!!!!

Also i listen to

Leftfield - makers of the Guiness advert - with the  Surfers and white
horse.... "Good things come to those who wait"....
and Progressive Dance music - when i am in the mood for Technic Creations...

Enjoy, i may gone way to much, but i like it!

--
Michael

- - -
Please reply on
medwards@ukonline.co.uk

Lugnet Member# 151
Lego Magazines from the Past and Present
   www.lugmag.com or www.lugmag.co.uk

Home of the UK Lego Technic Club Magazine
                www.technic-uk.co.uk