 Off-Topic / Debate / 9529
Re: Music while building
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 21 Mar 2001 15:45:22 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott E. Sanburn wrote:

I am sure something better will come along, but until then, I am happy with
my recording. Please don't say MP3, I would prefer a more.... shall we say,
definite/legal medium?

FUT to debate, for MP3 issues.

I hope this won't be much of a debate: there's nothing illegal or even
gray-area about the MP3 format, unless you use an encoder that infringes on
the relavent technology patents.

Legally, there's no difference between copying your CDs to mini-disc and
copying them to MP3.  It's just a format for the media.

File-swapping, ala Napster, is an entirely different issue, and one I don't
care to touch.

I'd definitely prefer high-quality MP3's on a big hard drive over a 400- or
even 100-CD changer.

I rip my CDs (and even my old vinyl) to average-quality MP3, they come
about to about a megabyte per minute, or 20-30 CDs per gigabyte.  That's a
lot of music in a small place.

Ripping CD to MP3 is pretty brainless, once you've configured your ripper.
Put the CD in the drive, click GO.  A few minutes later, you've got a new
set of MP3 files on your computer.

Steve