 Off-Topic / Debate / 21037
Re: Should we be concerned?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 4 Jun 2003 12:52:40 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Costello wrote:

Perhaps you refer to GWB’s usurpation of civil liberties with the patriot act, I
have to go back a bit to find Roosevelt’s internment of the Japanese, which I
would say  a bit more severe.

  The jury's still out, isn't it?  I mean, we're still in the midst of the
detentions and profiling, so we can hardly judge Dubya's policies as if they've
run their full course.  In addition, Dubya's internment of Arabs is worsened
because he should have the benefit of hindsight, thereby recognizing that
Roosevelt made a terrible mistake rather than repeating it against a different
non-white target.

One can hardly mention dishonest presidents without bringing up Nixon and
Clinton.

  But even to mention the two men in the same breath is a form of Conservative
spin.  Nixon actively subverted the Constitution to weaken the Democratic party,
and he lied (extensively!!) about it.  Clinton engaged in a legal extramarital
affair between two consenting adults, and he lied about it.  Does it not strike
you as disingenuous to equate the two, even rhetorically?

I make a promise, no matter how much you call me un-American I will never
pose naked for entertainment weekly, like the Dixie Chicks

  How about The National Register?

    Dave!