 Off-Topic / Debate / 21002
Re: Should we be concerned?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 2 Jun 2003 22:09:15 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:

   I’m afraid I let my personal feelings out a bit-- I’m still reeling from the news that the ACLU deciding to defend that Florida women who wants her driver’s license photo ID taken with her veil on.

I’m very glad the ACLU is there to take the case. I must say, I hope they lose, and I presume they will since a driver’s license is not a right, but it doesn’t bother me in the slightest that they took the case. Without the ACLU, all we would have are corporate-shill attorneys, and they are the ones who scare me.

Having an entity in theory such as the ACLU is probably a Good Thing®, but the extreme, agenda-driving wackos currently running it make it a liability. As you say, any idiot can see that this case has absolutely nothing to do with religious freedom, that driving is a privilege, not a right, but simple facts don’t seem to concern these people. Without question there are ulterior motives involved here-- and legislation from the bench is one of my pet-peeves...

JOHN