 Off-Topic / Debate / 21003
Re: Should we be concerned?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 3 Jun 2003 08:05:36 GMT

No I don't believe
the sweeping generalization that all media is biased.

Have a read of this:

Now dissent is [immoral]:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,3604,968375,00.html

==+==

"This nation is now at war," said Peter Beinart, the editor of the liberal magazine New Republic. "And in such an environment, domestic political dissent is immoral without a prior statement of national solidarity, a choosing of
sides."

As such, American journalism has been embedded not only militarily but politically as well. At a press conference in March, a journalist
offered the following searching inquiry: "Mr President, as the nation is at odds
over war, how is your faith guiding you?"

(later)

Fearing the contamination of the pool of domestic information, many  Americans have voted with their remote controls and browsers. American audience
figures for BBC World news leapt 28% in the first few weeks of the war, elevating its Baghdad correspondent, Rageh Omaar, to sex symbol status. Meanwhile,
American visitors to the websites of the BBC and progressive news organisations such as the Guardian have risen exponentially since September 11.

==+==

Scott A