 Off-Topic / Debate / 20973
Re: Should we be concerned?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 31 May 2003 02:15:55 GMT

<snip>
The likely impacts will be a
homogenizing of programming, a huge reduction in reporting of dissenting
viewpoints, and an enormous increase in pro-corporate (and therefore generally
pro-Conservative) media agendas.  Is anyone concerned?

I am a bit concerned, and agree with you here. I think programming has long been
homogenized. However, I rarely see the pro conservative agenda being advanced.
My main concern is the lack of competition which leads to lack of quality.

<snip>

  Interestingly, the "liberal" media don't seem to be offering much coverage of
this enormous issue.

Other than Fox and the Washington Times isn't almost all media "liberal"?

Meanwhile, each of these fine news sources has several dozen Laci Peterson
stories, as well as a whole bunch of articles about Annika Sorenstam, Bob Hope,
The Matrix part deux, and the rest.

You are 100% correct on this observation, the media spends way too much time
worring about stories that are relatively unimportant in our daily lives.
Especially here in Southern California, where they spend way too much time
worrying about celebrities and what they are saying and doing. I remember back
when Michael Jackson dangled his baby over a balcony, the same day an oil tanker
sunk off the coast of Spain. LA times cover lead with Jackson then put the oil
tanker in a smaller box underneath the first. Which story was more important? A
mentally disturbed singer, or a environmental disaster?

The merger does concern me a bit, I hate government interference in our lives
and in business, but this one may be justified. We will see how this plays out.

Scott C.