 Off-Topic / Debate / 20985
Re: Should we be concerned?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 2 Jun 2003 04:58:39 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Richard Marchetti wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:
I mean, where do you hear these complaints about "the liberal media"?
In the media?  Hmmmmmm....

Such an attack is usally groundless and proffered by a person that has no idea
what the "left" is really about.  The all encompassing "media" is hardly "left."

I need to remember to put my smily face when I am kidding. No I don't believe
the sweeping generalization that all media is biased. My two favorite papers,
the Orange county register and the San Bernadino Sun times are both right of
center, but no more right than the LA Times, who definately have best sports and
comics sections, is left.

Offhand, I'd say Costello has no real knowledge of "left" or "right" -- I hear a
lot of partisan rhetoric instead.

I don't really think that's fair, first I have never been a member of the
republican party, and second I am happy to criticise actions by any leader I
don't like. It just so happens that the last couple of topics we have debated
(the war and tax cuts), I tend to agree with this administration.

However you do bring up an interesting point, I imagine my definition of "left"
and "right" is problably different than many others, let me try to explain
myself first then you can see if our definitions match.

Right - Conservative, typically pro capitalism, belief in market forces as the
answer to most economic issues. Believe that in order to help workers you must
help employers. Belief in smaller less intrusive government. Big issues: tax
cuts, national defense

Left - Liberal, belief in regulation of industry as the solution to most
economic issues. Support larger government and social programs. Don't mind
passing laws that protect citizens from themselves. Believe in order to help
workers you must regulate and sometimes litigate against employers. Big issues:
civil rights, environment, abortion

<snip>
I am less Anti-Bush than I am Pro-U.S. and Pro-liberty.  I think being Pro-U.S.
means being Anti-Bush -- but that is not my doing, it is the doing of Shrub
himself.

Comeon froggy, I make no pretense about my ideology, but don't pretend not to be
anti-Bush, one merely has to browse a few of your past posts to find a great
deal of anger and disdain for this president. I would be suprised if you could
verbally say his name without spitting in disgust. There is a huge difference
between disagreeing with a mans politics and characterizing him as an idiot.

History shall be my witness.

You are problably right, because most history books are liberal :) (I didn't
forget the smiley this time)

Scott C.