 Off-Topic / Debate / 21031
21030  |  21032
Subject:
Digression on Johnson (was Re: Should we be concerned?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 4 Jun 2003 11:18:01 GMT

[The Real Hal Moore]¬
Interview of Lt. General Harold G. Moore by William F. Jasper

http://www.jbs.org/visitor/focus/vietnam/no_win/hal_moore.htm

TNA:You recount the bitter anger and frustration that you and others in the
military felt concerning the decisions in Washington to allow the Communist
forces to have safe sanctuaries in Laos and Cambodia from which to attack your
positions and the gag orders that were placed on you not to mention these
policies to the press or the public. As a result, much of the American public
didn’t know — and still doesn’t know — that these sanctuaries were a fact and
played a crucial role in the war’s final outcome.

Moore: Well, those sanctuaries sure as hell were there. The fact is that Johnson
would not let us follow the defeated enemy to his death or surrender in
Cambodia; so he was allowed to regroup, reinforce, resupply, and redeploy. The
fact is that we officers were forbidden to tell a reporter that, yes, we were
fighting North Vietnamese, which we did anyhow, because it was the truth. The
fact is that the enemy had sanctuaries in Laos, Cambodia, southern North Vietnam
and northern South Vietnam. And by handing him these sanctuaries, Lyndon Johnson
handed the enemy the tactical and strategic initiative. They could come out of
those safe areas at their time and pleasure, take us on, and then go back into
those sanctuaries to take care of their wounded, regroup, and get re-equipped.
We were denied the tactical and strategic initiative by Lyndon Johnson. The lies
and deception of the Johnson administration were so morally wrong, and the
enormity of it all is just finally coming out.

----

Off to war in a foreign land?  Maybe you had better stay home.

-- Hop-Frog