 Off-Topic / Debate / 21025
Re: Should we be concerned?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 4 Jun 2003 01:58:45 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Richard Marchetti wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:
   ...since a driver’s license is not a right

Hmmm, I find this a sticking point.

I believe the right to travel by common conveyance is a right.

Please cite in the Constitution this “right”.

   If it were otherwise I’d be stuck at home unless I were willing to obtain whatever license is necessary to travel -- and then my right to travel would be being regulated unfairly. And I shouldn’t be relegated to mere walking alone,

Bus, train, taxi, airplane, unicycle, bicycle, tricycle, Segway; take your pick.

   that’s less than is necessary in the modern world -- and I have a right to work, to buy groceries, and do all the needed things to survive.

How about theft?

   I am not a driver or chauffer of any kind -- no cargo, no paying passengers -- just me and or my family and our personal goods. I am not engaged in some extraordinary, privileged activity in using a car. To the contrary, if I were to drive a car I would be engaged in one of the most mundane and ordinary activities possible in the U.S. in the year 2003.

BUT, I understand the public may have an interest in testing my proficiency for an activity like driving -- and as such, I think some kind of “operator’s certificate” would suffice. Basically, an eye exam with a test showing that I can drive a possibly lethal weapon without causing loss of property or harm to my neighbors. Maybe test me once every 10-20 years. No attendant, quasi-ponzi, insurance scheme, thank you very much. I can be responsible for me and mine.

In my view, the reason they want to license you is tie you into a quasi-contract via the vehicle code -- basically, to regulate the heck out of you.

Yet another conspiracy?

   And with such regulation comes a whole host of regulatory intrusions and hassles that attempt to prevent that which is unavoidable -- that people will violate the regulations (often and without aforethought). And I strongly disagree with both the motivation and the results that are currently part of our life.

On the subject of the veil, I think a person may have a religious right to refuse intrusive identification techniques.

Are you kidding me??? You are asking the state to make exceptions based upon religion! Hypocrite!

   We are heading too quickly towards a national I.D. and all manner of other tools of control.

Invoking a national I.D. argument is specious; a driver’s license is completely voluntary.

Again, the amazing part to me is that this is even an issue of contention.

JOHN