 Off-Topic / Debate / 21073
21072  |  21074
Subject:
We needn't have worried! (Re: Should we be concerned?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 6 Jun 2003 16:20:33 GMT

  The primary impact of the legislation would be the
relaxing of the FCC's anti-monopoly restrictions on corporate media ownership,
allowing, in essence, a half-dozen companies to take 100% ownership of (i.e.,
control of) every media source in the country.  The likely impacts will be a
homogenizing of programming, a huge reduction in reporting of dissenting
viewpoints, and an enormous increase in pro-corporate (and therefore generally
pro-Conservative) media agendas.  Is anyone concerned?

  All of my moral panic appears to have been for naught, since the media
conglomerates have obviously been looking out for the public interest all along:
http://www.publicintegrity.org/dtaweb/report.asp?ReportID=526&L1=10&L2=10&L3=0&L4=0&L5=0

  This seems oddly reminiscent of the closed-door energy policy meetings held by
the Bush administration, to which the public is still not privy.  Doesn't the
President work for us (i.e., We The People)?

     Dave!