 Off-Topic / Debate / 21027
Re: Should we be concerned?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 4 Jun 2003 04:45:02 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Costello wrote:
   How in the world could they elect a guy who was so obviously draft dodger, adulterer, and liar?

Shrub has been AWOL and everything about his “military” career was protected and sanctified by Daddy Shrub himself -- give it a rest. It’s all well covered up and with the appropriate gloss of “spin”, just like his drug and alcohol record. So, of course, Shrub is a liar -- but I would yet count those the least of his lies. Those lies did not have national or international consequences.

Adulterer? Who cares? That’s private stuff between a person and their respective partner(s).

   I assume you are basing you claim on GWB’s Iraq policy, if so can you honestly say that his actions in Iraq are any worse than his fathers, or Kennedy/Johnson’s policy in Vietnam.

Kennedy made mistakes, but I think it’s possible his heart was in the right place. Really, I don’t know. It was a scary time and he was part of some very scary decisions. I don’t care about John and Robert playing tag-team with Marylin -- that’s the problem of three deceased persons.

Johnson was not a very good president in my opinion. Vietnam was a disaster all the way around, but it surely wasn’t helped by Kissinger/Nixon -- in fact many things have been worse specifically because of Kissinger. I made a reference earlier to Cambodia, I could make another ref now to Timor. Like Sharon and Shrub, Kissinger should stand before a world tribunal for war crimes and crimes against humanity.

U.S. foreign policy has been terrifying for decades. That doesn’t exonerate Shrub for war crimes comitted under his watch. Could we be talking about other, former presidents? Sure -- but they are not president RIGHT NOW, and Shrub IS.

Shrub is therefore topical, and all those other are not. ‘Nuff said.

   Perhaps you refer to GWB’s usurpation of civil liberties with the patriot act, I have to go back a bit to find Roosevelt’s internment of the Japanese, which I would say a bit more severe.

Again, the past stupid act of a different president doesn’t make things any better now. Watching anyone’s civil liberties go into the toilet is no better because the subject may be witchcraft, communism, an identified “enemy” ethnicity, or percieved status as “terrorist.” Do keep in mind that the founders of this country did no less a thing than commit treason against their king in the name of liberty.

   Do I fear that the patriot act may infringe on my rights as a citizen? Yes, but that is an allowance that I make for safety, much like long airport lines.

“They that can trade essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” -- Benjamin Franklin

   If it is revealed that GWB was lying, I will be the first to sign a recall petition (I did just sign one for California’s lousy govenor), but I have not yet been convinced, in spite of the leftist spin I have heard.

Spin? The subject of the White House’s manipulation of intelligence is currently being covered by the national media --at last! No WMD means he lied -- he has lost the very reason young americans went to a foreign land and risked their lives. Our service people deserve better than the unethical prevarications of Shrub. Some young people lost their lives, many more Iraqis paid an even more gruesome price. People died. Who can now tell us why?

Don’t hold your breath waiting for an asnwer from Shrub. He already has what he wanted.

-- Hop-Frog