 Off-Topic / Debate / 20991
Re: Should we be concerned?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 2 Jun 2003 17:14:52 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Costello wrote:

   I need to remember to put my smily face when I am kidding. No I don’t believe the sweeping generalization that all media is biased. My two favorite papers, the Orange county register and the San Bernadino Sun times are both right of center, but no more right than the LA Times, who definately have best sports and comics sections, is left.

Hooo boy. The Register is far, far to the right. The Los Angeles Times is barely left of center. Honestly, they both reflect the counties they are in.

   Offhand, I’d say Costello has no real knowledge of “left” or “right” -- I hear a lot of partisan rhetoric instead.

I gotta agree with this assessment (see above).

I don’t really think that’s fair, first I have never been a member of the republican party, and second I am happy to criticise actions by any leader I don’t like. It just so happens that the last couple of topics we have debated (the war and tax cuts), I tend to agree with this administration.

However you do bring up an interesting point, I imagine my definition of “left” and “right” is problably different than many others, let me try to explain myself first then you can see if our definitions match.

Right - Conservative, typically pro capitalism, belief in market forces as the answer to most economic issues. Believe that in order to help workers you must help employers. Belief in smaller less intrusive government. Big issues: tax cuts, national defense

Conservative: pro laissez-faire, pro-tax cuts for the rich, favor big business interests at the expense of workers and consumers, in favor of forced religious intrusion, belief in big taxes (guns), pretend like they are not in favor of big taxes, belief in market forces but will take all the pork they can get from the public trough. Run by lawyers.

Left - Liberal, belief in regulation of industry as the solution to most economic issues. Support larger government and social programs. Don’t mind passing laws that protect citizens from themselves. Believe in order to help workers you must regulate and sometimes litigate against employers. Big issues: civil rights, environment, abortion

Over-regulates industry due to past extreme behaviours by such, believes in big taxes (butter), pro-tax cuts for the not-so-rich (assuming that they are dragged kicking and screaming into any tax cuts at all), looks to government to solve too many problems best handled elsewhere, in favor of civil liberties but oddly will step on civil liberties in the name of other civil liberties, anti-religious intrusion, favors consumers and workers at the expense of big business. Run by lawyers.

-->Bruce<--