 Off-Topic / Debate / 21036
21035  |  21037
Subject:
So we're back to school yard politics...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 4 Jun 2003 14:22:13 GMT

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/06/04/nyt.friedman/index.html

In which this editorial goes on about...

"
The failure of the Bush team to produce any weapons of mass destruction
(W.M.D.'s) in Iraq is becoming a big, big story. But is it the real story we
should be concerned with? No. It was the wrong issue before the war, and it's
the wrong issue now.

Why? Because there were actually four reasons for this war: the real reason, the
right reason, the moral reason and the stated reason.
"

So lets look at the 4 reasons--

"
The "real reason" for this war, which was never stated, was that after 9/11
America needed to hit someone in the Arab-Muslim world.
"

'Cause we all know that the answer for someone punching you is to punch right
back--isn't that what the Bible teaches us, Dubya?  Yep, you epitome of
Christian values that you're trying to bring back to your schools 'n such...

And of course, history has shown us that violence has never been answered with
more violence.

"
The "right reason" for this war was the need to partner with Iraqis,
post-Saddam, to build a progressive Arab regime. ... The real weapons that
threaten us are the growing number of angry, humiliated young Arabs and Muslims,
who are produced by failed or failing Arab states — young people who hate
America more than they love life.
"

And yet the 'newly liberated Iraqis' don't want your troops in their country,
they don't want to be partnered with you right now--it seems that the
'non-religious' Saddam's Iraq wants to be replaced with a more conservative
religiously-oriented Iraq--at least that's the trend at this time.  So now we're
faced with either the US saying "no no, you can't do that' or just leaving the
Iraqis to their own devices.  Wonder which way this is going to go?

"growing number of angry, humiliated young "kids" who are produced by a failed
or failing <> states..."  Yep, what's the number one cause of death for a black
man between the ages of 18 and 34 in America?  After all the concessions and
stuff-- and yet what have you got?  Resentful black youths.  And slavery was
'abolished' centuries ago.  Yep, you're going to be living with this little war
on terror hanging around your neck for probably just as long as you're living
with the stigma of the oppressed black peoples from centuries ago.

"
The "moral reason" for the war was that Saddam's regime was an engine of mass
destruction and genocide that had killed thousands of his own people, and
neighbors, and needed to be stopped.
"

Now this is something that the world could have agreed on.  Hmmm... The world.
Is there an institution that, say, would encompass the world, which would offer
a 'one world' voice of outrage against Saddam's regime... Hmmm... Can't quite
recall it now--I know there was some sort of organization composed of reps. from
many nations...

It may have been 'ineffective, outdated, and whathaveyou--nothing is perfect and
the UN could definitly use an overhaul, but it's the best we've got, and far
better than *one* country doing an end-run and totally botching the
situation--would the US be facing the hostility it is today if it was just one
of the 'united voices across the world' against the tyranny?  Doubt it.

"
But my ultimate point is this: Finding Iraq's W.M.D.'s is necessary to preserve
the credibility of the Bush team, the neocons, Tony Blair and the C.I.A.
"

Yes but you're American intelligence 'knows' that Saddam has them and they
'know' where the WoMD are.  Oh wait--can't find any--"Blix and the inspectors
aren't detecitives" was one quotation form this very newsgroup--well, those
Yankees knew where the weapons were--so again, where are they?

"But rebuilding Iraq is necessary to win the war. I won't feel one whit more
secure if we find Saddam's W.M.D.'s, because I never felt he would use them on
us. But I will feel terribly insecure if we fail to put Iraq onto a progressive
path. Because if that doesn't happen, the terrorism bubble will reinflate and
bad things will follow. Mr. Bush's credibility rides on finding W.M.D.'s, but
America's future, and the future of the Mideast, rides on our building a
different Iraq. We must not forget that.
"

So bottom line is that Iraqi Freedom is anything but that--The Iraqis have
demonstrated recently that, after this liberation, they want nothing to do with
the US and that the US troops should 'git out!' so that they can take charge of
their own destiny, even if it means going down a more 'religiously oriented,
conservative' path.

But they won't have the freedom to do that, will they--"America's future, and
the future of the Mideast, rides on our building a different Iraq. We must not
forget that"

"Our" rebuilding "their" Middle East.

Yep, Iraqi Freedom is anything but.

Great job!  (idiots)

Dave K
-who wants the folks in o-t.d to know how to pronounce his last name since it
seems to show up in a few posts-- it's "Cow-Dice".  Just thought you should
know.