 General / 35109
Re: What is a "review"?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 9 Jan 2002 22:49:38 GMT

In lugnet.general, Richard Marchetti writes:
You know, I cannot find a dictionary definition that enumerates any kind of
methodology for the word "review."  Instead, there is a lot of sketchy
wording like:

To look over, study, or examine again.
To consider retrospectively; look back on.
To examine with an eye to criticism or correction
a general survey of something, esp. in words; a report or account of something.
to view, look at, or look over again.
to survey mentally; take a survey of
to discuss (a book, play, etc.) in a critical review; write a critical
report upon.

See? No hard and fast rules for how a review is accomplished, or of what --
with detailed precision -- a review is comprised.  What I and everyone else
has been assuming about the meaning and use of this word is actually a
colloquial meaning and usage and not a dictionary definition.

But they all seem to imply some familiarity with and experience of the
subject being reviewed.

Allan's site could fairly be considered to be comprised of reviews of the
"to survey mentally" or "discussion" type.

No, it could be considered to comprise of reviews of *pictures* of the sets.

Everyone can ease down now...disaster has been avoided and civilization as
we know it has been preserved.

Cheers

Richie Dulin