 General / 35087
Re: What is a "review"?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 9 Jan 2002 02:03:54 GMT

In lugnet.general, Tim Courtney writes:
I'll chime in here in agreement with Allan.  I don't see a reason why his
website or his work had to be nitpicked apart.  His site is a place for him
to express his opinions, and he can do so in whatever way he pleases.

I don't agree that it's nitpicking when he has posted announcements on
LUGNET about his site and its reviews, makes the statement on his website
that "...there will be honest and sometimes funny reviews " and then goes on
to "review" sets he has never built, and make incorrrect comments on
elements he has never used. I don't see how such a review could be
considered "honest".

That is the point of my criticism, not that he arrived at the conclusion
that the set in question is bad, nor that the part in question is bad. The
problem is the means he used, not the end he arrived at.

I'm quite happy that he's spending the time to put up the Expert Builder
site.  It sends an important message that isn't heard a lot.  Here, we're
too busy pulling LEGO in our direction (the AFOL community) and some people
are too concerned with their own image in the eyes of LEGO to give honest
constructive criticism and honest praise.

Allan isn't one of those people, and I appreciate it.  Allthough I am one of
the people touting the importance of the AFOL community to the company's
agenda, Allan's message is an important one.  Its in LEGO's best interest to
fill the needs of all of its customers, and to stay true to its roots.  This
doesn't mean LEGO can't or shouldn't expand to new markets, it just
shouldn't abandon what made them great.

Get Allan talking about his father and the Meccano company sometime (private
email) and you might understand.

I understand that Allan is unhappy with LEGO at the moment, he wants better
set designs, better brick availability and lower prices. I don't think
anyone would disagree there.

My problem with his site isn't the motivation for doing what he is doing,
nor is it that he's being critical of LEGO.

Cheers

Richie Dulin