 General / 35062
Re: Expert Builder website - Great response results in first update
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 8 Jan 2002 02:52:40 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jude Beaudin writes:
In lugnet.general, Allan Bedford writes:
In lugnet.general, Jude Beaudin writes:

Perhaps my biggest fault is that I care too much about this company and
their products.  Maybe some of my foolish sentamentalism causes me to do
silly things from time to time.  But as I said to Richie in this thread... I
really thought I was doing folks a favor by taking these alternative
opinions away from LUGNET.  To allow LUGNET to be as it is, without my
postings to sour it.

I do not see your opinions being expressed as souring LUGNET. Now if you
carry them into a flamewar then then I could see it.

I don't see this thread as a flamewar... at least I hope it's not becoming
that.  I'm trying to respond to everyone's concerns over this 'column'
incident by reminding people that they are already participating in a site
that generally embraces their opinions and sense of community.  As I've
mentioned, I really feel that my opinions aren't all the welcome here and
that's o.k.  It's not my site.  I have no desire to spoil anyone's fun on
LUGNET.  Just as I would not have wanted anyone to spoil my fun, back when I
felt more at home here.

Although I do find it strange that you want to advertise the alternate
opinions that you want to take away from LUGNET on LUGNET. : /

I had to start somewhere.  ;)

I'm glad someone *finally* commented on that.  I thought I was the only one
who saw the irony in it.

To get back to your original question... if someone has something to say,
they are free (within reason) to post it to LUGNET.  People pay to become
members of LUGNET.  LUGNET is organized and run as a community with elders
and other members.  My site is different.  I pay for the domain.  I pay for
the web hosting.  I put my own time into what gets posted (or doesn't).  I'm
not asking for donations or for anyone to pay a cent.  If you want to read
what's there.... it's free.  Otherwise, no questions asked, thanks for coming.

But an interesting thing has happened over the last few days.  About 1/2 the
hits I'm getting are now direct or bookmarked links. (As opposed to links
coming from postings to LUGNET or search engines)  People are coming back.
I wonder why?

A million flies going to the dump cannot be wrong. :-)

Hey, I'll take that.  I have broad shoulders and a good sense of humor.  I
really thought more people would see that.  I went back just a few minutes
ago and reread my own review of the Jack Stone set.  I say a lot worse
things than just my comments on the columns.  But throughout, I lace the
commentary with lines that really shouldn't be taken seriously.  I hope(d)
that most folks would see the humor in it.

Look Allan, I am not out to bash you, I just wanted to know how far you are
going to take your agenda. Some online shopping sites allow people to review
the products uncensored (barring foul language, of course) while others will
post only the positive comments that receive. Apparently you are going to
run your site like the latter and I think people need to know that.

But... I'm not in this for me.  I'm not out to make any money.  This isn't a
commercial site.  Quite the contrary... I want to *give* money to the LEGO
company and I'm just trying to make it easier for them.  :)

It's a personal site, paid for with my own funds.  The agenda could be that
I want to sell LEGO pieces or sets of my own creation.  Then I think that
some of the criticism in this thread would hold more weight.  But I'm just
out to make an opinion known.  Agenda not hidden, not disguised.

I do not have a problem with someone who wants to create a review site and I
wish you the best with it.

Many thanks.

BTW, I too would prefer that LEGO focus more on better model design than
element variety.

I believe that by going back to their core design values, using more
traditional pieces (whatever definition you like of them) and adjusting
their prices to be more realistic that this company can only go up from
here.  I wish they knew how deeply some of us love their good stuff.

All the best,
Allan B.