 General / 25484
  A VERY interesting article on the Lego Business

Compelling reading for those who love lego. (URL) to Nathaniel Cross for spotting this. Dont read it if you get all emotional about lego though, its not too positive. They do suggest there might be a light at the end of the tunnel. But even their (...) (24 years ago, 20-Dec-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: A VERY interesting article on the Lego Business

"lawrence wilkes" <lawrence@thewilkesf...rve.co.uk> wrote in message news:G5vwv9.9sy@lugnet.com... (...) (URL) shtml (...) sorry that url didnt wrap (URL) (24 years ago, 20-Dec-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: A VERY interesting article on the Lego Business

(...) darned newsreaders (URL) (24 years ago, 20-Dec-00, to lugnet.general) !

  Re: A VERY interesting article on the Lego Business

(...) (from the last paragraph) "The danger is that this bid for long-term survival could impair Lego's greatest asset – its uniqueness and creativity. By hitching its name to other great brands, it may be diminishing its own." I've said that (...) (24 years ago, 20-Dec-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: A VERY interesting article on the Lego Business

(...) I believe (but am not sure) that the Swiss factory is a tool and die shop. That is, it doesn't produce parts, just molds for parts which are used in the molding plants worldwide. Switzerland has a reputation for producing some of the highest (...) (24 years ago, 21-Dec-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: A VERY interesting article on the Lego Business

(...) My Throwbots were made entirely in Switzerland, according to the boxes. That implies that the parts were made there, doesn't it? I think a lot of Technic parts are made in Switerland now. (24 years ago, 21-Dec-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: A VERY interesting article on the Lego Business

(...) Given the figures that we were kicking around before, the actual operation cost of the plant is likely NOT the largest price in making Lego. The machines are the investment, not the (molding floor) employees. The machines (it is HIGHLY (...) (24 years ago, 21-Dec-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: A VERY interesting article on the Lego Business

(...) From reading the article again (a little closer this time) it says that the Swiss factory is one of two main factories (from what you've said- tool and die type factories) and from the article it looks like they are, in fact, planning to (...) (24 years ago, 21-Dec-00, to lugnet.general)

  Bradley has stuff to say about all this! Re: A VERY interesting article on the Lego Business

""It's another example of Lego executives living in the past and thinking about what their own childhoods were like rather than what it is like to be young now. It's a mistake they have to rectify," he says." Why must LEGO be for people who are (...) (24 years ago, 21-Dec-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: A VERY interesting article on the Lego Business

(...) That article points up precisely all the reasons to simply not care whether TLC succeeds or not. Most of the details are available elsewhere, but this article nicely redacts those sources into a nice, concise unit -- it's a great reference! (...) (24 years ago, 21-Dec-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: A VERY interesting article on the Lego Business

(...) I don't know, this entire article smells of sour grapes. The writer could just be repeating some off kilter remark someone else made. What I'd ask is what is the reputation of Independant News. Are they a respected publication, or are they a (...) (24 years ago, 21-Dec-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: A VERY interesting article on the Lego Business

"Frank Filz" <ffilz@mindspring.com> wrote in message news:G5wIpG.B47@lugnet.com... (...) just (...) what is (...) are (...) Not a tabloid. Very high reputation regards lawrence (24 years ago, 21-Dec-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Bradley has stuff to say about all this! Re: A VERY interesting article on the Lego Business

"Bradley Dale" <dinosauria_ca@yahoo.ca> wrote in message news:G5wGJ1.7Hs@lugnet.com... (...) children in (...) Don't (...) But the majority of kids DONT grow up with their lego - they forget it. Onlu a few stay, and even fewer come back (...) (...) (24 years ago, 21-Dec-00, to lugnet.general)

  Radical statement!

(...) Juniorization is good. There, I said it. Juniorization is good, *IF* it is part of a progression in the product line. For example: Primo - Primo vehicles - Duplo vehicles - Duplo trains - Town Jr 4561 - "craftsman" trains. If the product line (...) (24 years ago, 21-Dec-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Radical statement!

(...) Which reminds me of a brief conversation I had in the Toys R Us aisle a couple days ago. I observed a man in his late 30's shopping for his kids. He picked up the Polar Base, and then he picked up the LoM Blue Mecha (I'm too lazy to look up (...) (24 years ago, 21-Dec-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Radical statement!

(...) Agreed, but at what age are they appropriate...? (...) Though I see its merits, I'm not completely sold on this argument. What separates Town from Town Jr.? Take vehicles for instance: Car doors, headlights and taillights on cars, perhaps a (...) (24 years ago, 21-Dec-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Bradley has stuff to say about all this! Re: A VERY interesting article on the Lego Business

In lugnet.general, Lawrence Wilkes writes: <Snip> (...) It will be part of the Duplo line. Something else will take the place of Lego Town. Kev Z #142 (24 years ago, 21-Dec-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: A VERY interesting article on the Lego Business

(...) This is the case (I don's know how to cite this properly): Tyco Industries, Inc., Plaintiff, v. Lego Systems, Inc. and Interlego, A.G., Defendants Civil No. 84-3201(GEB) UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT FOR THE DISTRICT OF NEW JERSEY 1987 U.S. (...) (24 years ago, 21-Dec-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Radical statement!

"James Simpson" <jsimpson@rice.edu> wrote in message news:G5xArx.Bxn@lugnet.com... [ ... snipped ... ] (...) the (...) Town Jr. has a place, but as Larry stated, there needs to be something after it. Young builders need to learn building concepts (...) (24 years ago, 21-Dec-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Bradley has stuff to say about all this! Re: A VERY interesting article on the Lego Business

(...) should (...) send (...) I have to totally disagree with the notion that Harry Potter is a fad. I was very skeptical to belive this until I actually read the books. Fads are genrally characterized by only appealing to children. (pokemon for (...) (24 years ago, 21-Dec-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Bradley has stuff to say about all this! Re: A VERY interesting article on the Lego Business

(...) I know this was a side-note of your post and not your main point, but I think it's worth commenting on. It is a very accurate and concise analysis of what a lot of us fear - TLC trying to appeal to the lowest common denominator to increase (...) (24 years ago, 21-Dec-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Radical statement!

(...) I think this is the key to TLC's problem. Look at it these points: 1. The LEGO "systems" are for construction toys. 2. Some kids don't like to build. Some kids only like to build occasionally. A relatively few kids *really* like to build. 3. (...) (24 years ago, 21-Dec-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: A VERY interesting article on the Lego Business

(...) Nope. See below. (...) Interesting mention of Microsoft - where Mr. Bill bought DOS from its author for a mere 50,000 US. (...) Have you built anything with these other brands? I have had people tell me "No matter what I do, I can't get the (...) (24 years ago, 21-Dec-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Radical statement!

(...) 4561 is not between Duplo and "crafstman" trains. It is part of the LEGO System Train theme, designed for children between the ages of 8 and 12. It is not a City Center set. Yes, the front of the engine is formed largely by two specialized (...) (24 years ago, 21-Dec-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: A VERY interesting article on the Lego Business

(...) Good ideas are pretty scarce, plus most of the individuals who have them will not have the 'machinery' or expertise or muscle to bring them to fruition. Most will end in a 'Phantom of the Opera' type scenario. (...) Nothing wrong with the MB (...) (24 years ago, 21-Dec-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Radical statement!

(...) Sure it is. You're missing my point by focusing on the features and flaws of 4561. I'm not claiming that was a perfect progression or gap free, just an example of a progression. 4561 is clearly more sophisticated of a build than a duplo train. (...) (24 years ago, 21-Dec-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: A VERY interesting article on the Lego Business

(...) Yeah, but I was talking about the fact that MS actually stole the look and feel of the Mac, which Apple licensed from Xerox. Absent such a license, what MS did was just outright piracy. But unless you're as big a David as Apple, there is no (...) (24 years ago, 21-Dec-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: A VERY interesting article on the Lego Business

That's UKP 45K *in 1981* - that was a decent chunk of change. Lego could have paid them off because they actually admitted guilt, or because they figured it was cheaper than continuing the litigation. It definitely puts a new light on the whole Tyco (...) (24 years ago, 21-Dec-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: A VERY interesting article on the Lego Business

(...) Yup, yup, yup... To my mind Tyco bricks stick together just as well, if not actually better, than do Lego bricks, and I actually have come to believe that the plastic might actually have been more resiliant than whatever TLC uses. And those (...) (24 years ago, 22-Dec-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: A VERY interesting article on the Lego Business

(...) did not return a profit (-23 meeellion in 1998) is also the same year juniorisation swept away the bricks from our town sets, the Fright Knights invaded the realm, and the Pirates officially had no new releases? I can't believe this is a (...) (24 years ago, 22-Dec-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Radical statement!

(...) In the old day, it was Primo->Duplo->Fabula...ASIC->Lego Land->Technic. The Catalogues were designed that way also. If the new Disney Theme is successful, it can be the new Fabuland and take Town Jr's 'gapping' place. How about (...) (24 years ago, 22-Dec-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: A VERY interesting article on the Lego Business

(...) Richard is right about some of those TYCO pieces. The triangle and angle bricks are elements that are lightyears ahead of what LEGO uses for angle pieces. I bought a few of their red castle sets (red and gray pieces), and the towers and (...) (24 years ago, 22-Dec-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: A VERY interesting article on the Lego Business

(...) No wonder recent (1994+)LEGO sets were being juniorized, LEGO is in danger of losing it's very feature which made it hard to beat in the toy marketplace, it's unwillingness to conform with the current fads and flash-in-the-pan stuff. When we (...) (24 years ago, 24-Dec-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: A VERY interesting article on the Lego Business

(...) Do you think there will even be a Lego in ten years? After reading that it makes me wonder. Lets hope things get better fo them! Gary (24 years ago, 24-Dec-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: A VERY interesting article on the Lego Business

(...) worth. My question that I will continue to ask until I can no longer, is what will happen to all the AFOL's in 20 years? First, Lego might not be around in twenty years. Besides the obvious, that might not seem too terribly bad. But bricks are (...) (24 years ago, 26-Dec-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: A VERY interesting article on the Lego Business

(...) I can't speak for your lego but my classic space is in bad shape because I played with them and any unsealed sets have also been played with. I doubt the ABS is spontaneously degrading. If Lego goes out of buisness in (...) Only time will tell (...) (24 years ago, 26-Dec-00, to lugnet.space, lugnet.general)

  Re: A VERY interesting article on the Lego Business

<big mother snip> Well, in twenty years I know I'll be kicking.. I'll only be 36. That seems to be around the average age here on LUGNET. As for The Lego Company, I have no doubts that they will still be around in 2020. If you are worried about your (...) (24 years ago, 26-Dec-00, to lugnet.space)

William Brumbach wrote in message ... (...) [...] (...) Classic (...) I own proof of this very principle... a 928 that sat in a display for twenty years and virtually never got played with. All of the bricks are literally like new. What's true for (...) (24 years ago, 27-Dec-00, to lugnet.space, lugnet.general)

  Re: A VERY interesting article on the Lego Business

(...) While I agree with Paul that this is true for ABS, it's not true for CA. I have opened some 20+ year old ABS sets and they are like new. 25+ year old CA sets still in their shrinkwrap have some signs of deterioration, the CA outgasses and (...) (24 years ago, 27-Dec-00, to lugnet.space, lugnet.general)

Larry Pieniazek wrote in message ... (...) I'm not so sure... that is, I'm not certain that ABS _does_ outgas, but I've smelt funny smells in containers of bricks that haven't been opened for a while, that sort of suggest that it does (perhaps in (...) (24 years ago, 28-Dec-00, to lugnet.space, lugnet.general)

  Re: A VERY interesting article on the Lego Business

(...) are not air tight. My guess is the smell you sense is from some form of bacteria. I contend that if you were to store Lego Bricks in something air tight (like a vacuum sealed bag) you wouldn't notice the smell when you open it. Of course a (...) (24 years ago, 28-Dec-00, to lugnet.space, lugnet.general)

  Re: A VERY interesting article on the Lego Business

(...) there in middle or high school. Not sure it would get a good grade though... (23 years ago, 28-Dec-00, to lugnet.space, lugnet.general)