 General / 19479
Re: Time cruisers or Time losers? (was:Re: Pirate/castle helmet...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 30 Jun 2000 17:39:08 GMT

In lugnet.general, Frank Filz writes:

The time lab is actually a fairly decent set

Yes!  Great big blue plates with a half BURP-half Armada base has been the
inspiration of many Pirate forts!

(though the Flying Time Vessel is pretty decent also).

A good start for those of us unlucky enough to start collecting after the
Pirates sailed away.

I also kind of liked the Twisted Time Train.

This one should arrive from KB today!  Looked good enought to get for
half-price.

To answer Shiri's question of why people hate them? Well, Timmy is reason
enough :-)

Really? The truth? I don't think he's ALL that awful. I mean, yeah, he's weird
looking and dopey, but brasso his shirt and stick the head under a helmet -
it's not that bad!

He's no worse than the Anikin or new Adventurers/Dino assistant minifig.  They
make good cabin boys if you don't have a helmet for them.

More seriously, they just don't interract well with any other LEGO theme,

Whaddaya mean by that? I don't think that's a good argument. There's NO theme
that just fits/interacts with other themes as it is. Castle sets won't fit
next to space sets, no matter what you say. Trains don't mix well with
Pirates. You can't put a (lego) robot R2D2 next to a town and say that they
work well together. (OK, you can-- but you'd be lying ;)

Actually, it's all in the imagination (as you mention below).  Off the top of
my head I can link Space/Castle with any Voltron/Thundercats/He-man cartoon of
the mid '80s (Wow, I think I just inspired myself).  Many anime series utilize
both as well.  As for Pirate/Train, well, sure there were no passenger trains
or monorails, but Steve Jackson himself has talked about "Having the pirates
attack the Gold train shipment."  Finally, I believe it's Brad H's Lego City 2
that has the Star Wars nightclub, complete with "Hit Jar-Jar" game!

Lego is adaptable, that's what's so great about it. You can rebuild the Time
Cruisers to fit in with your castle MOCs, or with you're space, or pirates, or
town MOCs. Just like you can MAKE your castle fit in with your town (see Brad
H's town with the castle "amusment park" for an example).

and are very haphazzard and sloppy (as Scott mentioned - I agree, they
have that "we need to empty out the overstock of parts" look to them).

But, IMHO, that gives them a better piece selection (like pirate hulls with
space helmets with castle arched windows, etc).

There's no denying that the sets are great sources of multi-genre parts, but
many (if not most) lego collectors are style specific, pirates, mecha/space,
castle, town, train, and look on the sets as being too scattered in theme for
the cost.  While I (and the few late(r) comers like me) see the sets as a
source to build up many themes in the collections at once

Truly, I think that the AFOL community is somewhat prejudiced against TC&TT
sets... the sooner we put the differences behind us, the better... ;-)

-Shiri

You shaid is shister,
-Sean, the "porkshops and appleshaush" pirate