 General / 16754
Re: Time cruisers or Time losers? (was:Re: Pirate/castle helmet...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 24 Mar 2000 17:45:46 GMT

An interesting question, just what didn't work about Time Cruisers/Twisters...

I decided I liked 'em this year and got the rest. The dinky sets suffer from too
many discordant parts. About the Time Vessel, last night I was thinking that the
deck is awful crowded, it's not like the Crossbones Clipper where there is some
open deck to maneuver in. I guess Timmy and the monkey never come down from the
rigging. So the vessel can't load cargo like some ships, or have boarding
actions (lack of flat space!). And where exactly is the time machine apparatus?

The ship makes Time Twisters into a Quest For New Hats (oh why oh why couldn't
fashion-challenged Timmy be on a quest for new torsos?). One way the premise
could go, would be a Menagerie theme, if the ship actually had cargo space for
holding strange beasties, or, darkly, famous minifigs from other eras. Dr Cyber
would bring them back and lock them up in his Mountain Lab in cozy, barred
apartments.

That Time Cruisers is the only inter-theme theme is a fizzled opportunity.
Pirates & Islanders had a crossover going for a while. (I just had a premonition
of Ewoks.. Brr...) Castle made great use of mixing its own subthemes. But Time
Cruisers never truly brought anyone over the wall. There was no Castle/Town
encounter set a la Murray Leinster's "Sideways in Time" (I've been reading
Leinster and tomorrow there's a lecture on him) whose original premise in 1934
was a sort of fault line that made separate epochs into geographical neighbors.
Of course it's just up to "the reader" to make it so. Still like Frank said
there were never any time-specific other characters inside the actual theme.

(Murray Leinster also invented the "First Contact" premise in 1945. Yes, there
was a time when it was a new plot...)