 General / 16726
Re: Time cruisers or Time losers? (was:Re: Pirate/castle helmet...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 24 Mar 2000 06:21:21 GMT

In lugnet.general, Frank Filz writes:
<snip>
The time lab is actually a fairly decent set
[...]
(though the Flying Time Vessel is pretty decent also).
[...]
I also kind of liked the Twisted Time Train.

Well... what other sets are left, then? I mean, there's only about one more
set that's over $10, that you don't "sort-of" like.
So basically you just sort-of like all the sets, but dislike the theme in
general? Ho, that's interesting ;-)

These sets are all kind of nice for parts, especially on deep discount.

Too bad I never see them around. The only one I've ever saw (seen?) was at an
FAO Schwartz, and I've learned MY lesson about buying things over
*there*...  :-)

To answer Shiri's question of why people hate them? Well, Timmy is reason
enough :-)

Really? The truth? I don't think he's ALL that awful. I mean, yeah, he's weird
looking and dopey, but brasso his shirt and stick the head under a helmet -
it's not that bad! (At least it doesn't seem that bad). I don't know how the
general opinion against Timmy came to be what it is today, but it seems pretty
funny to me that everyone hates him so much... he never hurt you, ya know!

<rattle, rattle, then sounds of plastic clashing as hundreds of Timmys are
thrown at me>

More seriously, they just don't interract well with any other LEGO
theme,

Whaddaya mean by that? I don't think that's a good argument. There's NO theme
that just fits/interacts with other themes as it is. Castle sets won't fit
next to space sets, no matter what you say. Trains don't mix well with
Pirates. You can't put a (lego) robot R2D2 next to a town and say that they
work well together. (OK, you can-- but you'd be lying ;)

Lego is adaptable, that's what's so great about it. You can rebuild the Time
Cruisers to fit in with your castle MOCs, or with you're space, or pirates, or
town MOCs. Just like you can MAKE your castle fit in with your town (see Brad
H's town with the castle "amusment park" for an example).

and are very haphazzard and sloppy (as Scott mentioned - I agree, they
have that "we need to empty out the overstock of parts" look to them).

But, IMHO, that gives them a better piece selection (like pirate hulls with
space helmets with castle arched windows, etc).

Truly, I think that the AFOL community is somewhat prejudiced against TC&TT
sets... the sooner we put the differences behind us, the better... ;-)

-Shiri