 General / 16747
Re: Time cruisers or Time losers? (was:Re: Pirate/castle helmet...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 24 Mar 2000 16:20:54 GMT

Shiri Dori wrote:

In lugnet.general, Frank Filz writes:
<snip>
The time lab is actually a fairly decent set
[...]
(though the Flying Time Vessel is pretty decent also).
[...]
I also kind of liked the Twisted Time Train.

Well... what other sets are left, then? I mean, there's only about one more
set that's over $10, that you don't "sort-of" like.
So basically you just sort-of like all the sets, but dislike the theme in
general? Ho, that's interesting ;-)

Well, one can like the sets without liking the theme, yea I know, it
sounds weird. I think for me the problem is in the details. The Flying
Time Vessel is a nice concept, but just seems lacking in some way. The
Mystic Mountain Time Lab is a real neat structure, but again, just seems
odd and out of place the way it is detailed.

To answer Shiri's question of why people hate them? Well, Timmy is reason
enough :-)

Really? The truth? I don't think he's ALL that awful. I mean, yeah, he's weird
looking and dopey, but brasso his shirt and stick the head under a helmet -
it's not that bad! (At least it doesn't seem that bad). I don't know how the
general opinion against Timmy came to be what it is today, but it seems pretty
funny to me that everyone hates him so much... he never hurt you, ya know!

The problem is that not only is he in every Time Cruisers set, he's also
in a bunch of the Freestyle/Classic sets, so you end up with tons of
him.

More seriously, they just don't interract well with any other LEGO
theme,

Whaddaya mean by that? I don't think that's a good argument. There's NO theme
that just fits/interacts with other themes as it is. Castle sets won't fit
next to space sets, no matter what you say. Trains don't mix well with
Pirates. You can't put a (lego) robot R2D2 next to a town and say that they
work well together. (OK, you can-- but you'd be lying ;)

I guess the problem is that it's such a small theme. Pirates, Castle,
Space, and Town/Train (tow themes which do work together) are all fairly
large themes.

Lego is adaptable, that's what's so great about it. You can rebuild the Time
Cruisers to fit in with your castle MOCs, or with you're space, or pirates, or
town MOCs. Just like you can MAKE your castle fit in with your town (see Brad
H's town with the castle "amusment park" for an example).

That's what makes the sets worthwhile to buy for parts, but is beside
the point when discussing whether the theme itself is any good.

and are very haphazzard and sloppy (as Scott mentioned - I agree, they
have that "we need to empty out the overstock of parts" look to them).

But, IMHO, that gives them a better piece selection (like pirate hulls with
space helmets with castle arched windows, etc).

That's good if your interests are broad enough to use all the parts
(mine happen to be).

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com