 CAD / Development / 4421
Re: Voting Open for LCAD Parts Update 2000-01
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 11 Apr 2000 16:05:25 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Fredrik Glöckner wrote:

"Steve Bliss" <blisses@worldnet.att.net> writes:

<http://www.ldraw.org/download/updates/voting/datvote.html>

I have a few comments:

2717.dat - Technic Seat

Should we call this part "Technic Seat  3 x  2 Base" for clarity?
I'm aware that theere is only one technic seat at the moment, but
this might change, plus a more descriptive name may be in place.

It's probably a good idea to add the sizing information.

x44.dat - Technic Toggle Joint Smooth

I disagree with this name.  First, we have no part named "Technic
Toggle Joint" in the library, as the name above seems to suggest.

There's also a fix in this update to rename the old 'Technic Connector
Locking' to 'Technic Toggle Joint Locking'.

Second, the name assumes that the user is familiar with the technic
toggle joint, which is called "Technic Connector Locking" in the
parts library.  This part is discontinued, and we should not assume
that users are familiar these.  Hence, we should pick a name which
does not refer to old parts not in production anymore, IMO.

There is precedence on using the part name to differentiate between
variations of a part.  The half bushing parts are one example of this.
Also, the LDraw part library is not particularly focused on parts that
are currently available.  So it is fair to expect users to be familiar
with discontinued parts.

Third, parts like this normally come in the "Technic Connector"
section of the parts library, and that is a natural place to put
this one.  If we start spreading parts with the same caracteristics
around, the whole point of having subcategories vanishes.  We
already have:

   3651.DAT      Technic Connector
   4273.DAT      Technic Connector Locking
   32039.DAT     Technic Connector with Axlehole

The 'Technic Connector' parts are problematic, because there a growing
number of them, and there doesn't seem to be a decent way to describe
them all.  One advantage of 'Technic Toggle Joint' is it closer to the
actual name used by TLC.

It's hard to come up with alternate names for the part, but here are
a few suggestions:

   "Technic Connector Locking Smooth" (violating my second point
   above!  *eek*! ;-)

   "Technic Connector Non-Locking" (ditto)

   "Technic Connector with 1/2 size Hole"

Whatever the name this part ends up with, it should start with
"Technic Connector".

OK, how about 'Technic Connector Toggle Smooth'?

32062.dat - Technic Axle 2 Notched

How do you know the part number?  *boggle*  ;-)

:)

xxxxx.dat - Technic Axle Flexible *

Is it possible to have these parts "chopped up" too, so that the
user can compose bent versions of it?  Much like the "73590 Hose
Flexible 8.5L"?

Each of these parts is made from two primitives.  One primitive is the
end-piece (used twice in the file), and the other is the axle in the
middle.  The length of the middle primitive is scaled up for each part,
to make the correct length.  This primitive could easily be used to
create 'bendable' versions of the axles, by using the axle primitive
repeatedly, instead of scaling it.

4617.dat - Propeller 3 Blade

This name is a tad non-descriptive, isn't it?  There are many 3
blade propellers available in LEGO.  If we add some info on it's
size, that might help.

Also a good idea.

Steve