 CAD / Development / 4428
Re: Voting Open for LCAD Parts Update 2000-01
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 11 Apr 2000 18:04:26 GMT

Steve Bliss <blisses@worldnet.att.net> writes:

There's also a fix in this update to rename the old 'Technic Connector
Locking' to 'Technic Toggle Joint Locking'.

Well, this kinda changes the situation! ;-)

The 'Technic Connector' parts are problematic, because there a
growing number of them, and there doesn't seem to be a decent way to
describe them all.  One advantage of 'Technic Toggle Joint' is it
closer to the actual name used by TLC.
:
:
OK, how about 'Technic Connector Toggle Smooth'?

It depends on whatever the "4273.DAT Technic Connector Locking" gets
named, but the important thing is that they are kept in the same
sub-category, IMO.  If the 4273 is renamed to fit another sub-category,
so should the new part.

It may be a good idea to keep them in the sub-category "Technic
Connector", but introduce a sub-sub-category "Technic Connector Toggle",
as you suggest.

What about the "Technic Angle Connector" parts?  Should they perhaps
join the same sub-category?  "Technic Connector Angle"?  It's always
been my pet peeve that they're not in the same sub-category as the
"Technic Connector".  But then again, they don't even have the same
orientation and origin (another pet peeve).

Is it possible to have these parts "chopped up" too, so that the
user can compose bent versions of it?  Much like the "73590 Hose
Flexible 8.5L"?

Each of these parts is made from two primitives.  One primitive is the
end-piece (used twice in the file), and the other is the axle in the
middle.  The length of the middle primitive is scaled up for each part,
to make the correct length.  This primitive could easily be used to
create 'bendable' versions of the axles, by using the axle primitive
repeatedly, instead of scaling it.

True, but when bending the axle, the end parts (with the notches) also
bends, so one would need to chop this one up as well.  Of course, the
end parts are slightly thicker, and don't bend that much, which suggests
that your method might work, but they do bend significantly, IMO.

Fredrik