 CAD / Development / 4500
Re: Voting Open for LCAD Parts Update 2000-01
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Tue, 18 Apr 2000 16:26:13 GMT

Rui Martins <Rui.Martins@link.pt> writes:

On Thu, 13 Apr 2000, John VanZwieten wrote:

Sometimes more points, but probably more often fewer points.  Consider a disc
overlapping the end of a quad which is just over half its diameter.  To
prevent the quad from overlapping, you would have to cut the quad into about
7 tris and match them to the perimeter of the disc.

Not exactly, see what I mean in the following example image:
http://is-sv.link.pt/~rmsm/lego/vote2000/overdraw.png

I don't think any parts author would ever think about overlapping a
complete half disc: It would obviously be better to use a half disc in
the first place.

What John meant above was, if I understood him correctly, a disc with
a diameter larger than the quad's height.  That way, the problem is
non-trivial, and using a non-overlapping method would obviously need
more triangles and (much) more work from the parts author's side.

I don't think we should have any rules against overlapping polygons of
the same colour.  That would impose far too much work on the parts
authors.  It would also set the LDraw language back with respect to
versatility, in my opinion.

Fredrik