 CAD / Development / 4452
Re: Voting Open for LCAD Parts Update 2000-01
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Wed, 12 Apr 2000 17:57:28 GMT

Rui Martins <Rui.Martins@link.pt> wrote in message
The voting page can be found at:
<http://www.ldraw.org/download/updates/voting/datvote.html>

I have been able to test only a few parts iet, but here are my findings:

- [flowers.dat]
This file shows superimposed polys (tris and quads) in the petals of the
flower, this is a problem in the flower itself (3742.dat), not in the
flowers.dat file specifically.
See the following image:
http://is-sv.link.pt/~rmsm/lego/vote2000/flowers.png

Superimposed polys are allowed, AFAIK.  Maybe not the most elegant solution,
but they render fine.

-[4728.dat]
This part has some errors related with modelling it self.
There seems to be some quads used has tris in the bottom of the flower • petals,
quads in a radial aproximation would be a lot better (area by quad is • better
distributed in this way)
See following image:
http://is-sv.link.pt/~rmsm/lego/vote2000/4728_1.png

Similar problem in the top part of petals.
Too small tris in petals edge (end), this can be better distributed !
Se following image:
http://is-sv.link.pt/~rmsm/lego/vote2000/4728_0.png

Better quad/tri could be applied to the top part of petals (radial • aprxomiation
would be a lot better.
See following image:
http://is-sv.link.pt/~rmsm/lego/vote2000/4728_2.png

I now this piece is hard to do, but I think this flower needes a complete
rework in the petals quads, no the points, but the way how the petal is
tesselated into quads/tris. The tuff work is done, the points seem ok.

I've never heard a complaint about "too small tris."  Is this problem unique
to your renderer?  It doesn't seem to be a problem with L3Lab.

-John Van