 CAD / Development / 4517
Re: Voting Open for LCAD Parts Update 2000-01
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 19 Apr 2000 09:45:32 GMT

Rui Martins <Rui.Martins@link.pt> writes:

  Maybe he meant something like:
http://is-sv.link.pt/~rmsm/lego/vote2000/overdraw2.png
  or
http://is-sv.link.pt/~rmsm/lego/vote2000/overdraw3.png

Those diagrams would correspond to, what, about five to ten lines of
LDraw code?  With a circular shape having 16 segments, not eight as in
your diagrams.  If you think that is simpler for the parts authors (or
that it requires a "tiny extra effort") as compared to superimposing a
quad and a disc (two lines of LDraw code), then there is really no
point in discussing anymore.  I would definitively find it a lot more
difficult!  Especially without a dedicated modeling tool.  I'm not
sure if your method should be the desired one for those who feel like
spending the "tiny extra effort", either, see the paragraph below.

There's also the point of keeping primitive shapes primitive, for the
sake of the versatility of the LDraw laguage.  It makes for better
images for example when converting the code to POV-Ray via L3P, or in
a future Ldraw->PostScript, if such a thing is ever made.  Break up
the triangles in the discs as you suggest, and you break up this sheme
as well.

If you plan to reply to this post, _please_ do not send me a copy in
the mail.  I'm perfectly happy with reading from the LUGNET NNTP
server.

Fredrik