 CAD / Development / 4417
Re: Voting Open for LCAD Parts Update 2000-01
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 11 Apr 2000 07:24:00 GMT

"Steve Bliss" <blisses@worldnet.att.net> writes:

<http://www.ldraw.org/download/updates/voting/datvote.html>

I have a few comments:

2717.dat - Technic Seat

  Should we call this part "Technic Seat  3 x  2 Base" for clarity?
  I'm aware that theere is only one technic seat at the moment, but
  this might change, plus a more descriptive name may be in place.

  The seat is also missing the two small half spheres on the insides
  of the trianglular "flaps" on the seat, but it is more than good
  enough without them.  Great part!

x44.dat - Technic Toggle Joint Smooth

  I disagree with this name.  First, we have no part named "Technic
  Toggle Joint" in the library, as the name above seems to suggest.

  Second, the name assumes that the user is familiar with the technic
  toggle joint, which is called "Technic Connector Locking" in the
  parts library.  This part is discontinued, and we should not assume
  that users are familiar these.  Hence, we should pick a name which
  does not refer to old parts not in production anymore, IMO.

  Third, parts like this normally come in the "Technic Connector"
  section of the parts library, and that is a natural place to put
  this one.  If we start spreading parts with the same caracteristics
  around, the whole point of having subcategories vanishes.  We
  already have:

    3651.DAT      Technic Connector
    4273.DAT      Technic Connector Locking
    32039.DAT     Technic Connector with Axlehole

  It's hard to come up with alternate names for the part, but here are
  a few suggestions:

    "Technic Connector Locking Smooth" (violating my second point
    above!  *eek*! ;-)

    "Technic Connector Non-Locking" (ditto)

    "Technic Connector with 1/2 size Hole"

  Whatever the name this part ends up with, it should start with
  "Technic Connector".

32062.dat - Technic Axle 2 Notched

  How do you know the part number?  *boggle*  ;-)

xxxxx.dat - Technic Axle Flexible *

  Is it possible to have these parts "chopped up" too, so that the
  user can compose bent versions of it?  Much like the "73590 Hose
  Flexible 8.5L"?

4617.dat - Propeller 3 Blade

  This name is a tad non-descriptive, isn't it?  There are many 3
  blade propellers available in LEGO.  If we add some info on it's
  size, that might help.

Thanks for the parts update!

Fredrik