 CAD / Development / 4456
Re: Voting Open for LCAD Parts Update 2000-01
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 12 Apr 2000 21:13:39 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Fredrik Glöckner wrote:

In my mock up, I divided the notched end parts of the flexible axles
into five parts, each with a 4 LDU length.  That worked quite well.  A
similar dividing of the official part would be great for my needs.

Hmm. That sounds workable.

How about if I write a program that inlines a part, and shapes it to fit
along a specified spline curve?

A program?  Do you mean an MSDOS program?  Windows?  Perl?

Portable Java would be best...

I really
think that we should aim beyond software compatibility with the LDraw
parts library.  It should be an entity providing enough information
for it to be used on any kind of system, current and future, in my
opinion.  I realize that not all agree with me, though.

I agree, I just don't see how flexible parts can be coded in LDraw.  If
you've got some ideas in this direction, I'd love to see them.  The lack
of flex in LDraw parts is a big drawback of the language, IMO.

This is, BTW, why I wanted the information about the geometry of the
minifig parts to be shared.  I hear that a Windows program exists
which will compose a posed minifig according to some spicifications,
but I would still like to have the information needed to do this
manually (or automatically).  (So call me demanding!)  But noone
appears to have or to be willing to share this information, so the
minifig parts appear to be quite useless to me... :-(

I'd share the specifications of the minifig angles, but I didn't
document them, and they are now baked into the code. :(  All that's left
is the transform matrix.

Steve