 CAD / Development / 4472
Re: Voting Open for LCAD Parts Update 2000-01
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 14 Apr 2000 07:00:13 GMT

"Steve Bliss" <blisses@worldnet.att.net> writes:

stud3a.dat is capitalized so that LEdit won't do a stud-as-line
number during editing.  Of course, the tip is usually stuck into
something, and doesn't flex, so maybe the entire 'skinny tip'
section should just be a single STUD3.DAT, stretched to fit?

It would probably be good enough to keep the "tip" in one,
non-bendable part.  Sure, I can think of situations where one would
put only the outer part of the tip into something, causing the other
part to bend.  But that would probably be quite rare, and I'm not
planning on implementing it.

faxle1.dat, faxle2.dat, faxle3.dat, faxle4.dat, and faxle5.dat are
all required because the segments of the end-section are about
3.6LDU, not 4LDU.

Yes, I noticed.  I just "pretended" they were 4 LDU in my mock up, to
keep things simple.  I'm happy to see that you have higher standards
of quality for the LDraw update.  ;-)

axlehol8.dat is a new primitive planned for inclusion in the
2000-01 update.

This is the open ended axle primitive, right?

The only difference between the various flexible axle parts would be the
positioning of the end parts, and the number of axlehol8 segments.

In the official version of the flexible axles, you may very well use
only one of the axle8.dat primitives for the central portion of the
axles, and scale it to fit the space between the faxle5.dat
primitives.  I'm sure that anybody capable of positioning the pieces
out to compose a bent axle is also capable of scaling down the central
axle8.dat primitive.  Besides, we save a lot of disk space and
rendering time this way.  What do you think?

Does this sound about right?

Indeed yes!  Thanks for being so cooperative!

Fredrik