 CAD / Development / 4420
Re: Some Words To BFC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 11 Apr 2000 15:25:16 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, John VanZwieten wrote:

The other big problem (and what seems to be Rui's main point of contention)
is the "certification tree" issue:  Does a certified part have to be in a
certified model, or in a certified submodel of a certified model, etc?  I've
been trying to bend my mind around this one, and here's the best I can come
up with:

1.  The BFC meta-command would have two usages:
0 BFC Certified  means that the file may always be BFC'd, even if it's in an
uncertified branch of another file.  The only candidates for this would be
truly solid files.
0 BFC Allowed  means that the file may be BFC'd only if it's in a branch off
a BFC Certified file, and the branch contains only BFC Certified or BFC
Allowed files.  This would be used for primitive files and non-solid
subparts.

Ooo, I like it.  We'd flag which files are always "right-side-out" and
which ones might be mis-inverted by legacy part-files.  That doesn't
break the reference-chain dependency entirely, but it does allow us to
specify where it must apply, without relying on file location or 'type'.
Cool.

This would also simplify the task of editing programs, because they
wouldn't have any reason to deal with the issues of certifying model
files.

Steve