 CAD / Development / 4326
Re: Some Words To BFC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 4 Apr 2000 16:56:02 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Reflecting on (my impressions of) what Steve, Mike, and Rui have been saying,
it seems we have two possible directions to go.

One direction, which Steve has developed, assumes we will have some files
which are BFC compliant, and some which are not.  Thus BFC compliance needs
to be transferred down the chain of subfiles, so that only compliant subfiles
of compliant parent files are BFC'd.  Using this model, the part database
could be brought into compliance over time, with immediate benefits for those
parts which are fixed, and backward compatibility for those parts not fixed.

The other direction, promoted by Rui, ignores the subfile chain and allows
any file or subfile marked BFC compliant to be BFC'd.  Rui suggests that to
deal with the problem of superfile inversions to subfiles, we either fix the
part or offer the option of disabling BFC'ing.  In my mind, this really only
is workable if all of the primitives, subfiles, and part files can be brought
into compliance.  Otherwise, someone using MLCad would render a model, only
to find out that a couple parts used are not BFC compliant but inverted a
primitive that is compliant.  Then the user has to disable BFC'ing and
redraw--very bad.

From what Michael said, it seems the most preferable situation is where all
part files are brought into compliance and the rendering engine has to make
the fewest possible checks--which sounds to me more like the second option.
The question is whether or not the entire parts library can be brought into
compliance with a reasonable amount of effort.  An application which
automates most of this work would be an imperative if it is to be done, and
at least several people would have to commit to using and checking such an
application.

If I've misstated anyone's position, or if I'm missing some major issue here,
I apologize, and please enlighten me :)

-John Van