 CAD / Development / 4374
Re: Some Words To BFC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 6 Apr 2000 13:33:39 GMT

John VanZwieten wrote:

Hey, this idea might work in conjuction with your program that fixes parts.
If we had a parallel directory (/pi/?) with a copy of each primitive with the
winding opposite, then whenever the fixer program finds a primitive which
needs to be inverted, it could just add "pi/" to the primitive name in that
line.  Part authors wouldn't have to mess with this; it would all be done in
the post-processing stage.

  That would be the fastest option for rendering.

So here's my suggestion for a simplified BFC regime:

1.  We handle BFC certification at the parts level (/parts directory), and
fix all the parts at "once."  New parts would be fixed before they are
released.  By "fixed," I mean that all outward faces are wound CW, and a
second set of primitives are used to model "inner" faces.  Cases of
double-sided quads would have to be ferreted out and fixed.

It seems to me that Leonardo's program is up to this task, perhaps with a
little improvement.

  If anyone wants to take a look and help, I can send the source to what
I have done so far (it needs VC++ 5.0). I have started working and I
won't have much time to improve it.

2.  If the rendering program can assume that all parts are correctly CW, then
it doesn't have to waste time checking for certification, winding direction,
BFC on/off, etc.  If a part is used in a model file with an inverted matrix,
then that part must be CCW, and the rendering engine can account for that.
As Michael pointed out, primitives, quads, etc. used in a model cannot be
BFC'd.  Likewise, mock-ups need to be kept out of the /parts directory so
they won't be BFC'd either.

  I still think that the program must check each part for a CCW in the
beginning of the files. We can't assume that all parts are CCW yet and
we shouldn't force authors to verify their parts.

Leonardo