 CAD / Development / 4340
Re: Some Words To BFC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 5 Apr 2000 14:17:46 GMT

Rui Martins <Rui.Martins@link.pt> wrote in message
news:Pine.GSU.4.10.10004051313380.16816-100000@is-sv...
On Tue, 4 Apr 2000, John VanZwieten wrote:

Reflecting on (my impressions of) what Steve, Mike, and Rui have been • saying,
it seems we have two possible directions to go.

One direction, which Steve has developed, assumes we will have some files
which are BFC compliant, and some which are not.

This is common to both every approach I have seen, obviously !

Thus BFC compliance needs
to be transferred down the chain of subfiles, so that only compliant • subfiles
of compliant parent files are BFC'd.  Using this model, the part database
could be brought into compliance over time, with immediate benefits for • those
parts which are fixed, and backward compatibility for those parts not • fixed.

Nope! No imediate benefits, because with the parent dependence • restrictions,
you have to have an entire branch compliant to be able to do BFC, which
includes the root,i.e. the Model file, which includes part files.

So every model you have made until now will NOT benefit unless you re-edit • it.
Also the more used files are the primitives files, which you won't benefit • until
a part file is correct, since they generally reside at the leaf nodes of • the
branch.

You will have backward compatibility but at what cost ? to many checks !

The other direction, promoted by Rui, ignores the subfile chain and • allows
any file or subfile marked BFC compliant to be BFC'd.

This assumption can be made, since all our *.dat files are used to define • a
solid object (it should be solid, lego oarts are, only stickers don't • apply),
which tells us that any face can be clipped if it is facing away from the • user.

Surely you don't mean _all_ our _*.dat_ files!  All but a couple of the
primitives do not represent solid objects, and this is the central problem
with allowing them to be BFC'd in a non-certified part.  There is no way you
can tell just from the winding if a 4-4cyli.dat is supposed to face out or
in.

Rui suggests that to
deal with the problem of superfile inversions to subfiles, we either fix • the
part or offer the option of disabling BFC'ing.

Only the unwanted inverts ! (the ones which don't use an invert matrix),
which are NOT so many.

Why do you say not so many?  Don't all the n x n bricks and plates use a box
primitive for the outside and the same box primitive for the inside?  So if
we certify the box5.dat without fixing all the bricks and plates, all their
undersides will dissappear when using BFC.

In my mind, this really only
is workable if all of the primitives, subfiles, and part files can be • brought
into compliance.

  Not necessarily ! only a few files will show this problem, but every file
already made can have IMEDIATE BENEFITS from the revised/compliant *.dat • files,
as soon as they are available.

I beg to differ.  Some files will show immediate benefits, while others will
be really messed up.

Otherwise, someone using MLCad would render a model, only
to find out that a couple parts used are not BFC compliant but inverted a
primitive that is compliant.

  In this case (which I already tought about) we just have to define as • default
that overall clipping (render program option) is DISABLED, which will give • the
user the same behaviour of today, if the user want's to increase • performance, he
can turn the new feature on (ENABLE), knowing the POSSIBLE consequences if • used
with non-BFC compliant files

IMHO, BFC isn't worth the work if it's not going to produce reliable results
along with increased performance.  Having even 10% of he parts in my model
rendered incorrectly is not acceptable.

-John Van