 CAD / Development / 4328
Re: Some Words To BFC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 4 Apr 2000 20:39:16 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Steve Bliss <blisses@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
news:7cjkescmg077t7644pmvs6d8697hinthdf@4ax.com...
In lugnet.cad.dev, John VanZwieten wrote:

The question is whether or not the entire parts library can be brought • into
compliance with a reasonable amount of effort.

A second question:  *should* parts be required to be BFC-compliant?
There is a certain amount of extra work required to make parts work for
BFC.  Without a mostly-automated cleanup tool, does it make sense to put
this burden on part authors?

IMHO, no.  If a mostly automated cleanup tool can be devised, then a few of
us could clean up new parts after they are voted in and before they are
released.  Part authors could be made aware of how to create compliant parts,
but making it a requirement would hamper new part development too much.

With over 1,800 files to worry about currently, unless each part can be
corrected with just a couple minutes of work or less, I don't see how it
would be possible to convert the entire database.  In that case, I think we
should just concentrate on those parts that give the biggest bang for the
buck (standard bricks, plates, etc) and we have to stick with Steve's
proposal for determining when to allow BFC'ing.

-John Van