 CAD / Development / 4405
Re: BFC checking program (was Re: Some Words To BFC)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 7 Apr 2000 21:56:53 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Leonardo Zide wrote:

Steve Bliss wrote:

The primitives should be the first thing fixed, in any case.  :)  I
think it would be safe for the cleanup program to assume that primitives
are BFC-ready.  Which could be a help for automatic cleanup of part
files.

I'm assuming that you're calling "BFC-ready" primitives that have all
faces in the same direction. Primitives are not closed volumes so you'll
always be able to see the backfaces.

Umm, it's a little more than that, but facing the faces is a very
important part.  Basically, I meant:

1. All polygons wound correctly
2. All subfile references clean

Good point about primitives not being solid.  I don't think a renderer
can/should ever assume that a single DAT file describes a solid object.

I don't think this issue (to INVERTNEXT or to clone primitive files)
will be decided on technical issues.

I agree technically it doesn't make much difference, I just think it's
easier to have another set of primitives (in another directory of with
another name) but that's how I feel.

OK.  That's two (or three?) opinions.  Anyone else?

I have uploaded the program to http://gerf.org/~leo/editor.zip (source
+ precompiled exe) there's no homepage or docs so please read this
before you ask any questions.

Coolio!  I'll try this out this weekend.

Steve