 CAD / Development / 4387
Re: Some Words To BFC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 6 Apr 2000 20:41:45 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Leonardo Zide wrote:

Steve Bliss wrote:

Can Michael or any other programmers estimate the time savings from being
able to assume all parts as BFC compliant, rather than having to check each
one?

Good point.  We definitely *should* muddy this discussion up with some
real facts. ;)

I can't speak for the other programs but if you allow a part to have
CCW and CW faces in any OpenGL program, it's going to be slower (but as
LeoCAD's library is pre-processed than it won't be a problem). If you
have some parts BFC compliant and some not than it won't make a big
difference in the total rendering time.

As someone pointed out once, it's not a big deal to get all windings the
same before passing the data to OpenGL.  Just swap the order of the
points.  For quads, switch points 2 and 4.  For triangles, switch points
2 and 3. This could/should be done while parsing the input files.  For
LeoCAD, I guess that would be when you convert them to your binary
format.

I'm also against requiring all parts to be BFC compliant unless
there's a *completely automatic* way of checking.

That's good to know.

Steve