 CAD / Development / 4330
Re: Some Words To BFC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 5 Apr 2000 12:52:46 GMT

A second question:  *should* parts be required to be BFC-compliant?
There is a certain amount of extra work required to make parts work for
BFC.  Without a mostly-automated cleanup tool, does it make sense to put
this burden on part authors?

IMHO, no.  If a mostly automated cleanup tool can be devised, then a few of
us could clean up new parts after they are voted in and before they are
released.  Part authors could be made aware of how to create compliant parts,
but making it a requirement would hamper new part development too much.

Completly agree, but part authors should strive to (if possible) present the
parts for voiting already BFC compliant. But it's NOT a requirement.

This reasoning also favours the "non branch BFC dependence", even authors which
don't supply BFC compliant parts would benefit from the BFC compliant
primitives.

With over 1,800 files to worry about currently, unless each part can be
corrected with just a couple minutes of work or less, I don't see how it
would be possible to convert the entire database.

It can be done with some time, with no rush.

In that case, I think we
should just concentrate on those parts that give the biggest bang for the
buck (standard bricks, plates, etc) and we have to stick with Steve's
proposal for determining when to allow BFC'ing.

Before "we have to to stick with Steve's proposal" I would like my recent BFC
related e-mails to be replyed, and I would also like someone to convince me
why my proposed approach is worst or why someone elses is better, thank you.

See ya

Rui Martins