 CAD / Development / 4366
Re: Some Words To BFC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 6 Apr 2000 06:59:37 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Steve Bliss writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Michael Lachmann wrote:

I warn everbody to put to much additional into BFC since I found out, that • the
BFC overhead is not to
underastimate. To much additional checks would cost drawing speed and • therefor
make BFCed file-drawing slower.

What would you suggest simplifying or removing?

I would suggest to make the meta-commands for the renderer as simple as
possible and move all other corrections to external programs or functions.
I believe that what we have of BFC in MLCad for example is good enough to work
with BFCed parts.

As an example I take the matrix-repair statement:
Checking the matrix for bad definitions is easy, but then you have to find
out, which of the values is wrong, and correct it.

How do you mean?  What is a 'bad definition' in a matrix?  Having a
negative determinant?  And what do you have to do to correct it?  My
understanding was that the rendering program could handle this problem
by reversing which winding it was expecting.

There was this case mentioned where the determinant of a matrix is 0 and
therefor BFCing has to be disabled (do you remember :-)).
It would be easy for a program to find the wrong values and replace the right
one with 1. I'm not talking about matrixes as we had them in the past like
1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 .... would be easy to correct ... but again we would loose
time.

I still like the idea of preprocessing parts for BFCing especially as I'm
currently working on preprocessed parts anyway. I will try to use them in order
to increase rendering time.
Just for them who like to know: Preprocessed parts will be a MLCad thing in the
first step, where the program generates binary dat files which will have a new
extension e.g. ppd. There are no sub-files within the parts and therefor
rendering should be much faster. At least this should apply to MLCad and I
think other creation programs.
This stuff might not be useful for viewer-only programs.

I'll let you know what happens with it.

Michael