 Administrative / General / 12778
Re: Another resignation: I'm stepping down.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 22 Apr 2005 17:36:20 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Richie Dulin wrote:
   In lugnet.admin.general, Duane Hess wrote:

   Just a few references below. Keep in mind that growth doesn’t necessarily translate to increased traffic or bandwidth usage. It also means the number of newsgroups required to support the needs and desires of the community.

Yes, new groups. But how has the number of *active* groups changed?

Define “active”. Does activity require a specific number of posts per day for a particular group? A specific number of views per day? A specific number of e-mail subscriptions? Who is to set the baseline for comparison?

This growth, or expansion of the grouping tree (we could debate semantics all day long and not agree on what “growth” really is be it bandwidth, posters, readers or compartmentalization), was spurred by the desires of the community.

Server load issues, technical rather than Administrative I think. (More Administration doesn’t solve problem)

What’s the problem again? Growth is needed to justify increased administration? I’ve simply tried to state that since LUGNETs inception, it has become more responsibility (again, another possible definition of growth) than one or two people can handle while balancing “real life”. Remember, for most people this is a hobby, not full-time employment.

snip

-Duane