 Administrative / General / 12668
Re: Another resignation: I'm stepping down.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 18 Apr 2005 17:39:07 GMT

(snip)

   As a small town, the old timers would sit outside their homes waving to and welcoming new-comers regardless of their origin and without expectation. Things moved slowly and the town prospered. Everyone was relatively civil. Sure, there was the occasional tiff, but nothing too serious. Everyone seemed to know everyone.

As more people moved to this utopian LEGO society, more infrastructure was necessary to support them - wider roads, new subdivisions, more regulations and of course law enforcement (the sheriff can’t cover all of the expanded territory by himself now, can he?). A large city becomes fragmented. People move to the suburbs where they find the conveniences particular to their needs without having to resort to trips to the inner city. The sense of community felt in the small town is lost. The suburbs become their own individual communities with only occasional contact or trade between them other than within the inner city.

LUGNET is not the same small town that it used to be. It is no longer the community that it used to be (good, bad, right or wrong). It appears to be suffering from an identity crisis. Is LUGNET a LEGO community site intended for the discussion, marketing, and showcasing of LEGO bricks, sets and creations or a gateway site pointing to separate LEGO communities where that discussion, marketing and showcasing is more acceptable to the populations?

Duane,

Well said...I think you’ve captured things beautifully here... and I think everybody needs to read your comments, and think about what it means.

Scott Lyttle