 Administrative / General / 12695
Re: Outside traffic [was: Another resignation]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 19 Apr 2005 23:26:55 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Suzanne Rich Green wrote:

   Any thoughts on carrying feeds of that traffic into their respective LUGNET newsgroups? I’m not sure why those folks went their own way, but I respect it. However, in keeping with LUGNET’s purpose, there’s a lot to say for centralization of the viewability of, or consciousness of, AFOL activity. I think it’d be nice to cross-communicate - even if it’s just to allow newcomers to see the outside traffic volume and a synopsis of that group’s purpose/characteristics (assuming the outside groups didn’t want posts to come from LUGNET).

Hey,

Figured I’d throw some random thoughts out on this area. I probably should make clear that I am not speaking here as a C-C admin, and have not discussed this with other C-C admins. Just speaking as an AFOL with memberships in multiple forums.

Is reflecting all FOL posts in one forum a Good Thing?

For instance, Bionicle Zone has a huge (huge!) and active membership, many (most? all?) of whom are well under the average Lugnet member age. I suspect that if all of the Bionicle Zone traffic got dumped on Lugnet’s front page, normal Lugnetters would be up in arms.

Similar things could be said about languages. To really have the “centralization of the viewability of, or consciousness of, AFOL activity”, we would also have to stream in 1000Steine.de, lowlug, belug, byggepladden, freelug, lugpol, kotsky, and any number of Japanese language groups that I can’t grok at all due to character sets.

Different groups have different policies. E.g. my impression is that one aspect of JLUG is that the language and innuendo can be of a more adult nature than is generally the case in other groups. Or consider the very very different attitudes of Eurobricks and FBTB towards “leaked” information. If they streamed into the same forum it could be very confusing.

Which forums would be streamed into Lugnet? Are we just talking classic-space, classic-castle, fbtb, and a couple of other major ones? Or are we including every small E-Zboard forum that someone put on their personal site? How about the feedback posts from my blog (or to take a more realistic case, Jake’s blog)?

Is this a one-way street or a two-way? Let’s say Lugnet streamed forum X. If someone was logged into Lugnet and read a post from X, what happens if they respond? Does the response go back to X? Or does it sit only on lugnet? If the former, how does this fit with X’s charter (e.g. maybe you need to be a member, or maybe they’ve banned certain people) (for that matter, what if Lugnet has banned certain people but they continue to post on forum X)? If the latter, that will lead to frustration because maybe the thread is continuing on forum X, but the posts on Lugnet go unanswered because noone on X notices them.

On a tangent, involvement in one forum in no way implies abandonment of another. I see that the 2004 noisemakers lists includes all of the C-C admins. Some of these also have worn Lugnet hats at the same time. Also, isn’t Purple Dave (the #1 noisemaker) a mod on one of the bionicle forums?

Anyway, speaking just as myself (NOT wearing a C-C hat (helm?)), I figure all of these forums are publicly viewable, so it would be okay to mirror them all in one site. However, I think that it might be like taking all of the articles posted in all of the newspapers of the world and putting them into one voume that arrives on your doorstep every morning.

Just my eight cents (inflation, you know). Bruce