 Administrative / General / 12676
Re: Outside traffic [was: Another resignation]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 19 Apr 2005 15:47:08 GMT

On Tue, Apr 19, 2005 at 03:37:08PM +0000, Suz wrote:
Any thoughts on carrying feeds of that traffic into their respective
LUGNET newsgroups? I'm not sure why those folks went their own way,
but I respect it. However, in keeping with LUGNET's purpose, there's a
lot to say for centralization of the viewability of, or consciousness
of, AFOL activity. I think it'd be nice to cross-communicate - even if
it's just to allow newcomers to see the outside traffic volume and a
synopsis of that group's purpose/characteristics (assuming the outside
groups didn't want posts to come from LUGNET).

It shouldn't be hard to imlpement, from a technical point of view.  Need
to keep in mind though, that posts coming in won't be authenticated like
LUGNET posts are - but we could just mark them like we do the robotics
list...

I think it would make sense to import these feeds in two ways.  One,
in their own trees, (classic-space.general, etc), and the other as
subgroups of related NGs (lugnet.space.classic-space).

Would something like that work?  Of course, the other sites need to
agree before anything can be worked on...

--
Dan Boger
dan@peeron.com