 Administrative / General / 12675
12674  |  12676
Subject:
Outside traffic [was: Another resignation]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 19 Apr 2005 15:37:08 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.admin.general, Adrian Drake wrote:
   In lugnet.admin.general, Richie Dulin wrote:
   In lugnet.admin.general, Duane Hess wrote:

   As more people moved to this utopian LEGO society, more infrastructure was necessary to support them - wider roads, new subdivisions, more regulations and of course law enforcement (the sheriff can’t cover all of the expanded territory by himself now, can he?).

This is often claimed, but I’m not sure if there’s evidence to support it... it seems to me that there are less posts and posters than there were two years ago. Perhaps one of the Admins could provide some statistics to support the alleged growth?

Growth can be defined many ways. One way is number of posts (which -has- dropped from what it was four years ago). But then, those posters may have become more concise in their messages. And perhaps individual groups, like robotics, have formed more comprehensive FAQs. There are tons of factors. I find it fascinating. I don’t think traffic numbers are a real goal here, or else we’d be showing off some far more alluring content. ;-)

   (Richie’s crude analysis snipped) I wonder how much of the drop in traffic here is due to the theme-specific boards like FBTB, classic-castle, classic-space, and bzpower siphoning posters away from here? I suspect that the influence of these other sites cannot be discounted.

Any thoughts on carrying feeds of that traffic into their respective LUGNET newsgroups? I’m not sure why those folks went their own way, but I respect it. However, in keeping with LUGNET’s purpose, there’s a lot to say for centralization of the viewability of, or consciousness of, AFOL activity. I think it’d be nice to cross-communicate - even if it’s just to allow newcomers to see the outside traffic volume and a synopsis of that group’s purpose/characteristics (assuming the outside groups didn’t want posts to come from LUGNET).

(?)

-Suz