 Publishing / 4901
Re: MOCpages, now a Brickshelf alternative
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Wed, 18 Jul 2007 02:39:15 GMT

In lugnet.announce, Sean Kenney wrote:
   Hi, everyone...

With the looming shut-down of Brickshelf, I would like to offer MOCpages as a safe alternative for everyone to continue posting their LEGO creations. In light of this, MOCpages now offers free image hosting. ... I want to assure you that MOCpages won’t suffer the same fate as Brickshelf. MOCpages has been covering its costs for a few years now, and I plan on implementing new revenue streams to keep the site running strong with the new added services. I’d like to implement a (quota/capped) free hosting service, coupled with a subscription service for greater (or unlimited) service. (a la flickr). Right now the new image hosting service is free... but that’s just because I wanted to get it ready for everyone as quickly as possible! :) The subscription service will be supplemented with sponsorhip and other partnerships to keep revenue balanced. LEGO activities are my full time job, and MOCpages is a major chunk of my business operations. It’s not going anywhere, and neither am I.

Sean
- - -
MOCpages admin
LEGO Certified Professional
guy on LUGNET since 1997
Friend
And lots more I’m sure...

First of all, thank you for providing mocpages. When I posted my Fisher Building MOC on your site, a person from MichLUG left a review and that is how I found out about that club of which I am now a member.

I would support your idea of a two tier system similar to flickr.com that would be free for low to medium resolution images up to a maximum number of MOCs or photos and a premium service that provides unlimited (or at least more) space. Without the free entry level tier, many kids would not get started with sharing their mocs and potentially becoming part of the community. I think that at this point I have spent enough on Lego that I could spare some money to pay for a premium service.

Without a solution like yours, the use of flickr or photo bucket would just result in the disapation of the Lego community in the wider world of photography no matter how many tags we attach to the pictures.

Thanks for coming to the rescue.

-Jim (DecoJim) Garrett